Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the Luck of the Scottish?

I actually thought about making Corn Beef and Cabbage today but I think that my family would believe I was trying to poison them. Plus, I am Scottish and Danish, not a drop of Irish in me. So in lieu of fixing something from my combined heritage, for example Haggis & Aebleskiver. (If you don’t what a Haggis is you should Google it. If you don’t know what an Aebleskiver is then you should know me better or attend the Scandi-Fest in Junction City once in a while.) So, I hesitate with the Corned Beef and settle on the most trouble-free baked Taquitos, avocado, tomato, olive salad and chips & salsa. For this salsa I roasted some roma tomatoes (cut in half), halved onions, a whole bulb of garlic (I only use about half of the roasted cloves and save the rest for something else) and a pasilla pepper. Rub some olive oil and salt on all the veggies before commiting them to a 400f oven for about 25 minutes. Let everything cool down a bit and throw them in the food processor, pulsed a few times and mixed it up in a bowl with lime juice, salt & pepper, and fresh cilantro. Apparently this family will be celebrating a different Saint on this day. St. Joseph perhaps? Typically people celebrate this Mexican Patron Saint on March 19th, so I’m not too far off the mark. Conversely, just because I don’t want Corned Beef & Cabbage doesn’t mean that I can’t search for some green food coloring to color my lite-beer. Is there anything more American than that? I think not.

1 comment: