Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday

I have heard people say that they do not like Sundays due to the fact that the next day is Monday. How do you dislike a whole day just because of the day that comes after? I love Sundays. I would have to say it’s my favorite day of the week. Typically, I am the first to wake , I make coffee and grab the newspaper from the front porch. The remainder of the day unfolds slowly, leisurely, undemanding. I read the paper, possibly some of whatever book I am reading at the time , feed the cat, write, all before anyone else’s eyes open. There are always things to be done at my house, i.e. laundry, bathrooms, floors and the like but on this particular day I get things done early (or don’t do them at all) so that I can get to one of my preferred components of this sacred day; food. I suppose, carrying over from my childhood, Sundays still seem to me more of a family day than any other. More often than not the four of us eat together on this day. I like to prepare not only dinner but a few things that we can eat throughout the week. Maybe some egg salad, some fried rice or a pasta salad, extra mashed potatoes so that we can have potato pancakes on another day and lot's of veggies cut up for future salads. This day is for making stocks and soups, pesto and rubs for chicken or meat and roasting vegetables. So for me, this marvelous day that ends our week is spent relaxing, cooking, watching movies, reading and sometimes doing utterly nothing. I am roasting a chicken, and did I mention that I am still in my pajamas?

No comments:

Post a Comment