Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Where's the Beef?

I would like to talk beef. I feel actual affection towards a great steak. I am a steak snob. My husband and I have been spoiled by my parents who generously send us various cuts of what I deem as some of the best beef in the county for Christmas each year from the Kansas City Steak Co. Rib Eye & Filet Mignon. Does it get any better than that? If it does, I don’t want to know about it. One year this outstanding gift came with frozen sirloin burger patties. Anxious to express thanks to our gift givers , I phoned my dad. He proceeded to tell me about his mistake of grilling them without removing the cardboard in between the two patties. Sadly, he failed to discover this error until they were eating said burgers on buns, fully dressed with all of the fixings. I would say that this is a new and improved source of fiber. So these beefy delights are such a hot commodity that Jeff and I have taken to “sneaking” our at home steak dinner when the girls are gone because we simply do not want to share. The thirteen year old can easily eat an entire 2 ½ inch thick Filet accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and a couple of butter drenched asparagus spears. Thus the devious dinner for two strategy.
I am a steak purist. I believe it is an absolute disgrace to eat your steak anything but rare. Actually, medium rare will not send me into a complete frenzy however A-1 or any other “steak sauce” will. Alas, my husband likes the aforementioned “sauce”. In a good marriage I truly believe that there must be give and take. Compromise. I learned to deal with it. But back to the finished product; here is how to tell the doneness of your meat without cutting into it, letting the vital juices run away.
The Touch Test: let your hand hang loose. With the index finger of your right hand, press down firmly on the area between left thumb and forefinger to gauge the softness; that is how a blood-rare steak feels if you press just as hard. Now make a loose fist with your hand, and press the same area again. The slightly increased resistance is how a medium-rare steak feels to the touch. Make a tight fist, press again, and you will feel the spring back of a well-done steak. Much like a trampoline! Case in point.

No comments:

Post a Comment